Monday, September 17, 2012

Interesting Things: Sounds and Smells

I really enjoy living in the city, and having everything around me as a convenience.  Downside to big city life: It's really loud here.  Like--my ears hurt because there's so much noise all the time.  Even while I'm sleeping, there is a constant drum of city life.  My first couple weeks here, I had difficulty sleeping with all the noise; but, now I'm used to it.

And... well, in some places it kind of smells.  It smells like dog poop/pee in a lot of places--and there's lots of cigarette smoke (almost everyone smokes)--and, here, you put your trash out on the street every night.  The garbage trucks come by every night at around midnight and pick up the trash from all the streets.  So everyone just puts all of their trash from that day out in front of their houses: very convenient.  Many times, if you walk around at night, you get wafts of trash-stench every few yards.  Delightful, no?  I can say, pretty assuredly, that I know I won't miss getting to put my trash out on the street when I return to the States.

But... I do have to tell you that the one good thing about the overwhelming mixture of sounds and smells is that while you're walking down the street, you can pass gas (aka fart, break wind, toot, flatus) whenever you feel the need and no one will ever know.  They'll at least never be able to point to you as the offender of flatulence.  I think about that almost everyday when I smell something that isn't quite food or gasoline or dog poop.  I have to keep myself from looking like the crazy foreigner laughing to herself, when I just realize that someone is farting freely in the public air without notice.

Surprisingly, there isn't much air pollution at all in the metropolis of Buenos Aires.  You can always see the clear skies and clouds, here.

(Hahaha... Sorry, Mom--farts are funny.)

1 comment:

  1. Kayla, I absolutely love your blog! Thanks so much for sending me the email. I feel like I'm living your adventures with you and it reminds me of my time in Costa Rica. Have fun and enjoy this time right now!

    ReplyDelete