Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The People and Places I Encounter: New House and the Laundry Fairy

So, I moved.

I'm living in a house in Palermo--which I found somewhere described as the suburban, soccer mom area of the City of Buenos Aires.  There are lots of malls and really cool cafes, shops, and Pizzerias.*** The house is pretty old and neat, with lots of room.  I believe that it can house a total of 8 people.  At the moment it is home to me, another guy from the US, a guy from Brazil, two boys from Holland, a chap from London, and a man from Japan: to sum that up for you, that's 6 guys and Kayla in an old house in Palermo, as of right now.  One of the guys from Holland mentioned that his sister is coming soon and I think I'll be thankful for more estrogen--the Dutch guys are here for two months, then they're parting ways for a couple more months as one goes to Canada and one goes to China... they're 18 years old and uber polite.

Another fact:  I do not have access to washing machines or dryers for my clothes.  My options are: Wear dirty clothes for 5 months (God knows I'm not hand-washing all that), or take my clothes to the Lavandaria.  After walking around a couple of blocks and finding the Lavandaria just 50 meters from my front door, I took my sack of laundry to the Lavandaria yesterday at 8pm.  There I met a Chinese girl who was probably my age, who was very helpful and patient with me while I tried speaking Spanish to convey what I wanted.  For 53 pesos, I now have 2 clean loads of laundry and three nicely ironed shirts.  53 pesos is roughly $11.00 USD.  I spent $11.00 to have someone else wash, dry, fold, and iron my clothes that I've worn for two and a half weeks.  My mother called the Lavanderia the Laundry Fairy--I call it life everlasting.  Duh! I've spent more than that on Starbucks--I'm not washing or folding a dang thing for the next 4 and 1/2 months.  

***Pizza is a staple food in Buenos Aires.  I'll tell you more about the food later.

No comments:

Post a Comment