Monday, September 10, 2012

People and Places I Encounter: Roommate and Ironing

As of Sunday, September 9th, I have my first roommate (today is Sept 10th, my mom's birthday--HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONNA!). My roommate's name is Katie and she's from Texas, where she waits tables at On the Border as an established employee of 7 years.  When I asked her what her reasons were for coming here, she stated, "Well, right now I'm studying a little Spanish, and before I studied a little art, and then when I leave here I'll study a little more art."  :) Katie talks a lot about art and loving Spanish--it's so good to see someone who is energized for life. She's super sweet and very excited to be here to learn and sight-see.  I'm really happy to get to share a room with her for three weeks.  

In other news, I stopped by a pizza cafe today to eat and study; and, when I walked out the two Dutch boys who I live with, Gossen and Hais (spelling?), were enjoying a late afternoon beer.  They had just dropped off their laundry and had some questions about what they actually did with their clothes at the lavandaria.  So, we walked over to the lavandaria and got it straightened out.  Then, Gossen and I went across town on Santa Fe Ave to get him a new phone chip for his Argentine cellphone, and to get his cellphone charged.  While we were running these errands, I acted as a translator! Who knew?!?  I didn't speak entirely well--it was like make shift Spanish--and I didn't understand all of the intricacies of what was being said to me, but I was able to communicate Gossen's needs and understand the answers (and ask questions when I didn't understand). Wow.  How, cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment